collapse

Author Topic: CVA Optima Northwest  (Read 10101 times)

Offline bobcat

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
CVA Optima Northwest
« on: April 08, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »
Does anyone have this muzzleloader? I just bought one, I should have it by the end of the week. What I really like about it is that the breech plug is removable without the use of any tools. It's a break open action, so you just open it and unscrew the breech plug with your fingers.

I'm hoping this will be a more reliable muzzleloader than the sidelock I've been using. I missed two deer this year due to misfires and hangfires. I'll be hunting deer with it for sure, and elk I'm undecided.

I will probably wait until August to decide if I want to go archery or muzzleloader. Which means I will only be able to apply for the point option this year, but that's okay, Toutle is about the only option and I'm not interested in hunting hoof rot elk.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:25:05 AM by bobcat »

Offline Brushbuster

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
Re: CVA Optima Northwest
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:39 AM »
My brother is thinking about getting into muzzleloading this year & I am thinking of picking up a couple of CVA Optima - Northwest Legal rifles. They are about $300. I'd be interested to know what bullet/powder charge works best for you. We're waiting for permission from the boss (his wife) & the multi season results before we pull the trigger.  :tup:

Offline cleelumbuckhntr

• Booner
  • stupid people piss me off
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
My brother is thinking about getting into muzzleloading this year & I am thinking of picking up a couple of CVA Optima - Northwest Legal rifles. They are about $300. I'd be interested to know what bullet/powder charge works best for you. We're waiting for permission from the boss (his wife) & the multi season results before we pull the trigger.  :tup:
for another 50 bucks you could buy a knight. Much better rifle. Made in America. Cva's are junk IMO. Made in Spain. I have owned cva,traditions,and Winchester. They are all made by the same company. I guarantee if you buy a knight you won't be sorry. It is a quality product. If you buy one now you will save yourself money down the road. Because if you like muzzleloading you will upgrade to a knight down the road.  :twocents:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:48:19 AM by cleelumbuckhntr »

Offline bobcat

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
I don't have an issue with the CVA's being made in Spain. From the research I've done, the quality is there. However, like I said, what really sold me on the CVA is the simplicity in disassembly and cleaning. It's always a hassle having to tear down a muzzleloader at the end of the day and clean it. I love the way this CVA works- you simply break it open, and unscrew the breech plug with your fingers. From that point on, its really not much different than cleaning a standard centerfire rifle.

Here's some good information on the Optima:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/08/29/gun-review-cva-optima-v2-muzzleloader/

Offline cleelumbuckhntr

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
I don't have an issue with the CVA's being made in Spain. From the research I've done, the quality is there. However, like I said, what really sold me on the CVA is the simplicity in disassembly and cleaning. It's always a hassle having to tear down a muzzleloader at the end of the day and clean it. I love the way this CVA works- you simply break it open, and unscrew the breech plug with your fingers. From that point on, its really not much different than cleaning a standard centerfire rifle.

Here's some good information on the Optima:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/08/29/gun-review-cva-optima-v2-muzzleloader/
the idea is good until you close it and the cap goes off. I have had friends that have had that happen with that rifle.

Offline Brushbuster

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »
Quote from: cleelumbuckhntr on Today at 08:46:35 AM

Quote from: Brushbuster on April 08, 2015, 10:00:39 AM

for another 50 bucks you could buy a knight. Much better rifle. Made in America. Cva's are junk IMO. Made in Spain. I have owned cva,traditions,and Winchester. They are all made by the same company. I guarantee if you buy a knight you won't be sorry. It is a quality product. If you buy one now you will save yourself money down the road. Because if you like muzzleloading you will upgrade to a knight down the road.  :twocents:

Thank You for responding. What model Knight do you have?

I have 2 Knights. They are extremely accurate. The most recent one I bought was the Disk Extreme 2-3 years ago. I love the gun but I had a tuff time finding a bullet I could get down the barrel. I finally did a bore treatment using Kroil Oil & Montana X-treme. I can now stuff a Spit-Fire T-EZ bullet w/ a crushed rib sabot without too much pressure.

It may now be a moot point because we did not draw our multi-season deer & I'm not sure I can convince him to go muzzy.  :dunno: In any event more research needed.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:15:49 PM by Brushbuster »

Offline bobcat

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 07:40:04 PM »
I'll be shooting it soon and I'll let you all know how it does. I haven't heard of any issues with the new CVA's.

Offline Brushbuster

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
 :tup: Keep me in the loop. Hoping it is a tack driver! 

Offline cleelumbuckhntr

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
I currently have the disc. As far as the sabots go I use the Leigh high bloodlines. They are tight in the bore,and a little tough to get started. But that's what you want. Keeps moisture out. Use a bit of bore butter on the sabot itself and it helps tremendously. I have Williams peep sight on it. With the bloodline 300 gr. and 110 gr. of 777 3f I'm shooting lights out with that combo. My next purchase will be the knight ultralight. I would already have it but just purchased a night force. :tup:

Offline huntnphool

• Global Moderator
  • Booner
  • Chance favors the prepared mind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
Rumor has it that Cooper is in the process of producing a NW Edition muzzy, I'll be interested in checking that out if it happens. :tup:

Offline cleelumbuckhntr

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
Rumor has it that Cooper is in the process of producing a NW Edition muzzy, I'll be interested in checking that out if it happens. :tup:
i have heard the same thing. Looking forward to seeing it.

Offline steeliedan

• Forky
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »
Warning, I bought mine last season, shot it 30 times, hunted with it, no luck, cleaned it, following year loaded it, it did not shoot. The firing pin was jammed. It is now back at the manufacture for a warranty claim and will not make it back by early season. I bought a new knight. Friends don't let friends buy cva's, modular homes, or date flaggers. The gun was disassembled and cleaned by the way. My 2 cents
Don't sweat the petty stuff, Pet the sweaty stuff!

Offline steeliedan

• Forky
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 12:32:02 PM »
Fri, got my gun back from warranty well the receiver after the repair, reassembled it, fails to fire due to the pin not contacting the primer 100 percent. I now have to ship my entire gun back. My knight however this year sealed the deal on an elk and always worked.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, Pet the sweaty stuff!

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
    • https://albinovest.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 03:53:53 PM »
Thanks for the update and Congrats on the Elk.

* Site Sponsors

* Random Pics

Views: 271
Posted by: shorthair-on-point
in: Pheasants

* Donations

We are now accepting Donations for Maintenance costs through PayPal.

* Recent Topics

March P.O.M. Contest by Dennis Kirkland
[March 21, 2020, 02:59:08 PM]

Take The N.R.A. Survey!!! by Michael
[March 11, 2020, 12:39:02 PM]

February P.O.M. Winner announced!!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[March 07, 2020, 02:51:45 PM]

February P.O.M. Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[March 01, 2020, 07:16:51 AM]

February P.O.M. Contest by Dennis Kirkland
[February 25, 2020, 02:22:51 PM]

I took some Elk Drone Video by Michael
[February 19, 2020, 06:48:05 PM]

Washington: House to Vote on Magazine Ban Bill by Michael
[February 19, 2020, 07:11:56 AM]

700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record by Michael
[February 17, 2020, 08:41:11 AM]

Airbnb donating to remove 2nd Amendment Rights by Michael
[February 08, 2020, 01:47:36 PM]

Washington Bill Establishes Pilot Cougar Hunt with Dogs by Michael
[February 04, 2020, 03:11:08 PM]

New Import Export Laws go into effect!!! by Michael
[February 01, 2020, 10:56:45 AM]

Sasquatch in Washington State on Camera? by Michael
[January 24, 2020, 12:06:15 PM]

P.O.Y. Winner Announced!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[January 07, 2020, 02:05:00 PM]

Trophy Bull by TerryWSmith
[January 04, 2020, 08:39:41 AM]

Arizona authorities kill 3 mountain lions found devouring human remains by Michael
[January 02, 2020, 07:47:37 AM]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal