collapse

Author Topic: Bladders vs Bottles  (Read 8914 times)

Offline elkaholic123

• Booner
    • View Profile
Re: Bladders vs Bottles
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
I've been using bladders for 5-6 years myself now and sometimes it seems a hassle to fill them but then its worth it when I can just grab my tube and drink away! I clean mine with efferdent denture cleaner ... just fill with water add tablets overnight and its done in the morning, no scrubbing!  :tup: 

No wise cracks Littlebuff!  :ban:
Thanks for the tip Mark,I'll try it.  :tup:

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
    • https://albinovest.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
Taste like hose? Fill the bladder with water and add a couple drops of lemon. Run it through the system. It will remove any bad taste.
Al-Bino Vest     NRA Life Member

Offline NRA4LIFE

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
I do a combo of both.  The bottles I use are just regular water bottles from bottled water, cheap and very light.  Had one bladder go bad, the Badlands brand.  Started leaking after being froze a little one day.  For those who have trouble filling the bladders, we have quick disconnects on our hoses so we can attach our water filters to them and pump them full directly from the stream.  Works great.

wastickslinger

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 11:10:15 AM »
never have been a big fan of water. Usually a few bottle of pepsi or gatorade.

I finally gave the bladder a try this year. It was handy but talk about a mess. I stopped at the quicky mart and filled it up with pepsi from the fountain machine. The lady gave me a weird look. Anyway. About half way through the day my pop was flat, that sucked. The worst part was when I went to go for a hike 2 weeks later the small amount of pepsi that I had left in the bladder had molded. YUK. Guess its back to bottles.  :laugh:

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
    • https://albinovest.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:56 PM »

I finally gave the bladder a try this year. It was handy but talk about a mess. I stopped at the quicky mart and filled it up with pepsi from the fountain machine. The lady gave me a weird look. Anyway. About half way through the day my pop was flat, that sucked. The worst part was when I went to go for a hike 2 weeks later the small amount of pepsi that I had left in the bladder had molded. YUK. Guess its back to bottles.  :laugh:

Don't put sugar in a bladder. Yuk   :laugh:
Al-Bino Vest     NRA Life Member

wastickslinger

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »

Don't put sugar in a bladder. Yuk   :laugh:

Drinks without sugar are gross.

Offline dirtytough

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
I like bottles myself. I don't want to have to empty my pack to fill up a bladder and I like to add stuff to it occasionally.

Offline DyinQuivers

• Booner
    • View Profile
    • Hells Canyon Armory COMING SOON!
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »
I combo it up like others mentioned...  But I opt for either a gatorade bottle or just a store bought water bottle.  Nalgenes are to bulky and you can save a few ounces in weight if you go the other route.  Even on a long day hunt in Oct I'll pack 100 oz. water bladder and one or two 12 oz water bottles depending on what I'm hunting and how far back in I get.  The extra few lbs won't make a difference for a day hunt, and it sure it NICE to have that extra water handy if you get an animal down at last light and have a very long packout ahead of you.

I also make sure that I drink the water in my bladder first.  That way I know that when it goes dry, I am sure to regulate my water use until I get to another source or back to the pickup.

Mike

Offline Sportfury

• Pisscutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:03 PM »
I use both the bladders and (3) Platypus (different sizes and configurations). One of my Platys I have had since I was a kid and never had any trouble with it. One is bigger and has a screw on cap which I use for the dogs when bird hunting, while I use the bladder for me. I like the fact that I can squeeze the air out of the Platys and it does not slosh around. If I was going to overnight somewhere I think I would have to change it up.

Offline Justin

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »
For backpacking I only use Gatorade bottles. They weigh half as much as the Nalgene bottles and they are much easier to use than a bladder. I have a pocket on each side of my pack which I can reach while hiking so I can just grab one and drink.

There are a few reasons why using a bottle is better than using a bladder IMO.
1. I hate taking it out to fill it.
2. I can't put flavoring in my water. ( helps to drink more and stay hydrated)
3. The bottles are easier to fill even if I didn't have to take out the bladder.
4. When I'm sitting at camp I don't have to drag my pack around to drink.

In my coyote pack I use a bladder sometimes because I will only be hiking for part of the day and I can drink while I'm calling without moving too much.
Kifaru Clan member. Best hunting packs on the market.

Offline jjhunter

• Booner
  • Aim small. Miss small.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »
 :yeahthat:

16 oz gatorade bottles for me.   I like to mix different wilderness athlete powders in my water.   The "hydrate and recover" stuff is pretty good.   

Offline BowMaster

• Pisscutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 01:22:32 PM »
resurrecting an old thread here, but anyways I prefer the bladders and was wondering what size bladders most of you use?

Offline bowhuntin

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2013, 01:53:15 PM »
resurrecting an old thread here, but anyways I prefer the bladders and was wondering what size bladders most of you use?

I normally pack a 100 ounce bladder.

Offline DyinQuivers

• Booner
    • View Profile
    • Hells Canyon Armory COMING SOON!
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »

I just swapped to the 6L MSR dromlite bag with hydration tube. Will be nice to be able to have a full 6L for around camp and cooking. Think I'll likely pick up a platy big zip bag to make filling easier as well.

Mike

Offline Justin

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 04:33:34 PM »
Ziplocks are perfect for using at camp. They are easy to fill and very light. Plus you can use Ziplocks for a lot of other things while backpacking/hunting also.
Kifaru Clan member. Best hunting packs on the market.

* Site Sponsors

* Random Pics

TerryWSmith

Views: 350
Posted by: Michael
in: P.O.M. 2018

* Donations

We are now accepting Donations for Maintenance costs through PayPal.

* Recent Topics

Trophy Bull by TerryWSmith
[October 30, 2020, 07:04:44 PM]

A Buck A Day... by TerryWSmith
[October 30, 2020, 07:03:42 PM]

October P.O.M. Contest!!! by Michael
[October 30, 2020, 02:19:24 PM]

September P.O.M. Winner Announced!!! by Michael
[October 06, 2020, 06:28:37 AM]

September P.O.M. Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[October 01, 2020, 06:25:37 AM]

September P.O.M. Contest!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[September 28, 2020, 09:31:59 PM]

Hunter fatally mauled by grizzly bear in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park by Michael
[September 23, 2020, 12:14:49 PM]

August P.O.M. Contest Winner Anounced!!! by TerryWSmith
[September 09, 2020, 08:09:50 PM]

Possible new Arizona State Record Elk!!! by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 06:01:54 PM]

Oregon Hunter Killed by an Elk by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 05:33:05 PM]

August P.O.M Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 07:03:49 AM]

August P.O.M. Contest!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[August 19, 2020, 09:22:13 PM]

July P.O.M. Contest Winner Announced!!! by Dennis Kirkland