collapse

Author Topic: Glove recommendations?  (Read 4791 times)

Offline WAcoueshunter

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
Glove recommendations?
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
I'm in the market for a softshell glove for late fall hunts, something between my nylon early season gloves and my ski gloves.  Anybody have the Kuiu Guide glove or the Sitka Jetstream gloves?  Any other recommendations?  They don't necessarily need to be camo - I see that REI has a bunch of different gloves in this category for climbers.  My initial thought was to go with the Kuiu gloves, but they get mediocre reviews on their website.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Offline Benny

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
Re: Glove recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:36 AM »
How much insulation are you wanting? I've tried everything and finally just accepted my method as the best for me. I use filson fingerless and full fingered rag wool gloves. I love fingerless for the dexterity. On hunts with colder weather I bring sheepskin wool mittens. If it's raining and wet, the filson gloves keep my hands warm enough, even when sitting. On late season, snow blowin, 10* hunts where moisture isn't an issue, those mittens are awesome. These are the ones I have.

http://www.hpsheepskin.com/mittens.html

They are great cause I can wear thinner gloves underneath and the mittens go and and off really easy, especially compared to ski gloves or the OR type mittens. My hands get really cold during long glassing sessions...so I am ok with looking a little goofy if my hands are warm.

Good luck! And good luck with your late tag...man you couldn't of picked a better year!

Offline WAcoueshunter

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
Those mittens look sweet! 

I've always used wool (fingerless and full) for steelhead fishing, that might be something to try - it may get wet, but will stay warm.  I've gone to wool everywhere else anyway (pants, shirts, hat, etc.).  The primary use I had in mind are situations like this last weekend in the snow when it's a bit warmer and things get wet.  There were several times where I'd reach out for a branch or a rock to steady myself on a slope, and my gloves just soaked through.  Either that or a colder, rainy day.  So the thought was to get a softshell that is weather resistant but still has some dexterity for getting into your pack or using a release, etc. 

Yes, I'm getting stoked about the hunt.  I've hunted the Swakane archery hunt several times, but have never been on a migration/rut rifle hunt, so will be fun to see the spectacle.  The chance at a really good buck will be a bonus.

Offline Pacificnwhunter

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »
I'll second the Filson wool gloves, I take mine everywhere with me. They also make a glove made from Bison wool, cant bring myself to buy a pair but they are definently warmer then the regular wool gloves.

I have the Kuiu guide glove and for me it's only good to about 30 degrees, especially if you are doing quite a bit of glassing. If your out moving around there good to about 20 degrees.

I have an old pair of leather Marmot gloves from REI that has some kind of insulator on the inside. I covered them with sno-seal and they seem to do the job. I like the idea about the mittens though. Good luck with your late hunt!

* Site Sponsors

* Random Pics

mt buck signed cropped

Views: 629
Posted by: Michael
in: Deer

* Donations

We are now accepting Donations for Maintenance costs through PayPal.

* Recent Topics

Trophy Bull by TerryWSmith
[October 30, 2020, 07:04:44 PM]

A Buck A Day... by TerryWSmith
[October 30, 2020, 07:03:42 PM]

October P.O.M. Contest!!! by Michael
[October 30, 2020, 02:19:24 PM]

September P.O.M. Winner Announced!!! by Michael
[October 06, 2020, 06:28:37 AM]

September P.O.M. Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[October 01, 2020, 06:25:37 AM]

September P.O.M. Contest!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[September 28, 2020, 09:31:59 PM]

Hunter fatally mauled by grizzly bear in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park by Michael
[September 23, 2020, 12:14:49 PM]

August P.O.M. Contest Winner Anounced!!! by TerryWSmith
[September 09, 2020, 08:09:50 PM]

Possible new Arizona State Record Elk!!! by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 06:01:54 PM]

Oregon Hunter Killed by an Elk by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 05:33:05 PM]

August P.O.M Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 07:03:49 AM]

August P.O.M. Contest!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[August 19, 2020, 09:22:13 PM]

July P.O.M. Contest Winner Announced!!! by Dennis Kirkland