collapse

Author Topic: Recent lessons about gear?  (Read 5348 times)

Offline Shawn Ryan

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
Recent lessons about gear?
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »
So with most of the seasons over, what did you learn about your gear this past year?  What do you need to throw out; what do you need to tweak; what do you need to get?

Personally, I need some different, lighter game bags. Probably T.A.G. bags. And new boots, not because mine are worn out or ill-fitting, but because my feet are getting bigger. 

Offline WAcoueshunter

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
Re: Recent lessons about gear?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:29:41 AM »
1. Gloves.  I previously started a thread asking about cold weather glove recommendations.  I liked the suggestion of wool rather than synthetic, and ultimately found a pair at cabelas that I liked called the Outfitter Wool II Dry-Plus Gloves for about $55.  They are awesome.  Warm and comfortable, not too bulky.  I threw them down in the snow to shoot and they got soaked from the inside, but still stayed plenty warm the rest of the day. 

2.  Boots.  My last two pairs of boots were Meindl's, before that Danners, and I had problems of one sort or another with all of them.  I'm not excited to buy boots without trying them on first (e.g. Kenetrek, Hanwag), so I decided to go to REI and try some heavy duty hiking boots rather than hunting-specific boots.  I bought a pair of Zamberlans.  The good news is that they fit and feel great despite being stiff, so far so good.  And I wear gators almost all the time, so I'm generally less worried about having shorter boots.  However, the big problem I noticed with shorter, stiff boots is that they bite into your ankle when you're sitting and glassing.  Never noticed that with taller hunting boots, but it's pretty annoying with the shorter boots.  Other than that, I really like them.   

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
    • https://albinovest.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
WAcoueshunter those Outfitter Wool II Dry-Plus Gloves look like they have leather on the bottom side. The leather does not get wet?
Al-Bino Vest     NRA Life Member

Offline WAcoueshunter

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
WAcoueshunter those Outfitter Wool II Dry-Plus Gloves look like they have leather on the bottom side. The leather does not get wet?

Yes, if you're in the snow or rain all day, the leather does ultimately soak through - so does the wool on the back of the hands and fingers.  But there's a waterproof insert to keep the water from getting to your hands, and the wool keeps your hands warm even if everything is soaked through.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
Thanx

Offline eburgsnake

• Forky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:30:59 PM »
Great topic. I upgraded to Hanawag boots this year after burning through cheap Cabelas ones every year or two. Hard to spend that much and not be able to try them on, but it worked out. Quickly discovered they cost that much for a reason. Walked a total of 21.6 miles packing my elk out and not a single hot spot or blister. The foot beds sold by Lathrop and Sons would be great additions for any boots. These boots are going to last a long time making them less expensive the my $100 cabelas boots every year or two in the long run.

Upgraded to several pieces of Kuiu gear. Love the guide DCS jacket. Not waterproof, but for the east side offers good protection. The spindrift jacket is surprisingly warm for its weight. Really loved the merino base layers from Kuiu, the flat seams are a surprisingly nice touch. The merino 185 top worked well for early archery season even with the high temps. Just got their 230 weight merino last week and it will be a great late season base layer. Have been using their gaters for a few days in the snow and like them so far. Expensive gear but very light and well made.

My badlands pack failed in some minor but annoying ways this year. Had one of the load lifter straps tear this year during training. Sent it back and the fixed it for free which was nice. The pack broke two zippers and one buckle hauling out one elk, one deer, and one sheep. I've had this pack for several seasons so its hard to throw it under the bus, but it was frustrating having so much break in one season. But it'll go back in a few weeks and they'll fix it for free again. I've been kicking around getting rid of it any going with a Kuiu pack, but its just too comfortable to get rid of.

I used lots of new gear this year and these are a few of the things that stood out. I posted a similar post on HW, might of included other items.
KCCO

Offline NRA4LIFE

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
I have worn Vasque hiking boots for about 15 years and never had an issue with them.  However my newest pair is only a couple years old and the soles started de-laminating on me this year.  Can't recommend them anymore.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• 4 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
eburg's post reminded me, I got a crazy deal last summer from first lite (half off) and pretty much changed over to their merino wool stuff on just about everything (except jackets, of course).  Great stuff.  I used to wear mostly Sitka pants and shirts, but the scent control and heating/cooling properties of the merino wool is tough to beat.

Offline littlebuf

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:32:18 PM »
my sleep system is bulky and heavy. so its gotta go. i really love my thermarest prolite but its still not worth the room and weight so ill be upgrading that. my bag has always been to heavy and bulky but at the time its what i could afford,that's changing too. I'm a little worried about my gear in general. as Ive upgraded to really high quality gear I'm afraid ill get to the point here pretty soon where i wont be able to "upgrade" any more. and that makes me kinda sad  :cry:

Offline jjhunter

• Booner
  • Aim small. Miss small.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »
my sleep system is bulky and heavy. so its gotta go. i really love my thermarest prolite but its still not worth the room and weight so ill be upgrading that. my bag has always been to heavy and bulky but at the time its what i could afford,that's changing too. I'm a little worried about my gear in general. as Ive upgraded to really high quality gear I'm afraid ill get to the point here pretty soon where i wont be able to "upgrade" any more. and that makes me kinda sad  :cry:

Welcome to my world... :cheesy:

Offline littlebuf

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 08:06:12 PM »
oh i almost forgot. Shawn, i picked up caribou bags canoviour pack for this season and i must say i really like the compact size and weight for the amount of bag capacity you get. i threw in a kifaru meat baggie and i have no doubts i can get a boned out bull fully bagged up in this pack. though i haven't used these bags yet (there my wilderness kit) i did use one of there mediums on my deer while it was hanging and it was very nice. really durable, will no doubt keep flies out and after hanging for a week and being soaked through with blood one cycle through the wash with just normal detergent and theres not even a pink hue to the bag, looks (and smells) brand new. some food for thought

i guess this is what they have now. the one i bought has 4 bags i think.

http://www.shop.raoutdoors.com/product.sc;jsessionid=DFB83ECBE0A6A445E7E600AB69855A31.qscstrfrnt04?productId=18&categoryId=1

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 08:23:09 PM »

You can always purchase a new gun!!!   :tongue:

Offline Pacificnwhunter

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »
Well for me it was a pretty good year for me gear testing wise, as I made it out a few times  :grin:

Pad:
One thing I will be upgrading is my sleeping pad, I currently use a closed cell therm-a-rest but after spending 30 plus nights in the woods this year on it I have decided to upgrade to either a Neo Air or a UL 7. I like the weight savings and the durability but it does not provide much padding.

Boots: Will be getting a new pair, walked the soles off on my Vasques pretty quick this year. Most likely will go back to Asolos.

Pack: Loved my Kifaru DT2, got to put several critters in it and the thing is a tank and hauls great. That being said....I did order a new bikini frame and high camp bag due to the weight savings. I was not sold on the layout of the timberline bag, the outter pockets got eaten up by stuffing the main compartment causing you to lose cu inches when full. Hind site I could have gotten a T1 like Buff and been ok. Oh well someone got a screaming deal on my used pack and I'm excited about the new one....now for the 16 week wait....

Clothes: Picked up a new quix down piece from KUIU for this year. Other then that I will continue to wear my mountain mimicry Sitka gear until it trashed. Kuiu gaiters were great, quite a bit quieter then my OR's. I used my trusty filson gloves with good success again, also wore my KUIU gloves a bit. The Spindrift jacket is great, I wear it all the time hunting and while running errands. I'm looking to try out these mittens to keep my hands dry. There only a few ounces and might be nice to have during those september storms.
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=51&osCsid=67f9ed0a75158080ef623da44e8a729f

Will also be adding a Havalon and some TAG bags to my kill kit, to save weight.

This year I will be trying to be mountain house free...So far it's a little more challenging but I think it will be a fun goal.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
Pacificnwhunter,

Why Mtn.House free?

Offline Pacificnwhunter

• Booner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
Just trying to branch out and try something new. Saw it on another site and have access to a dehydrator so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Since I wont be having to buy a dehydrator it should be a cheap project/fun project to keep me busy till the high country melts out.

* Site Sponsors

* Random Pics

* Donations

We are now accepting Donations for Maintenance costs through PayPal.

* Recent Topics

Trophy Bull by TerryWSmith
[October 30, 2020, 07:04:44 PM]

A Buck A Day... by TerryWSmith
[October 30, 2020, 07:03:42 PM]

October P.O.M. Contest!!! by Michael
[October 30, 2020, 02:19:24 PM]

September P.O.M. Winner Announced!!! by Michael
[October 06, 2020, 06:28:37 AM]

September P.O.M. Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[October 01, 2020, 06:25:37 AM]

September P.O.M. Contest!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[September 28, 2020, 09:31:59 PM]

Hunter fatally mauled by grizzly bear in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park by Michael
[September 23, 2020, 12:14:49 PM]

August P.O.M. Contest Winner Anounced!!! by TerryWSmith
[September 09, 2020, 08:09:50 PM]

Possible new Arizona State Record Elk!!! by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 06:01:54 PM]

Oregon Hunter Killed by an Elk by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 05:33:05 PM]

August P.O.M Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[September 01, 2020, 07:03:49 AM]

August P.O.M. Contest!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[August 19, 2020, 09:22:13 PM]

July P.O.M. Contest Winner Announced!!! by Dennis Kirkland