collapse

Author Topic: Northwest Heads and Horns!!!(Permits, Raffle, Auction Tags and Guided Hunts)  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
    • https://albinovest.com/
Northwest Heads and Horns. This is for Permit Holders, Raffle Tag Holders, Auction Tags or Guided Hunts only!!!

The rules
1. It can be any Animal harvested between March 1,2013 and February 28,2014.
2. The animal may be harvested with any weapon.
3. It can be harvested with a Permit, Raffle Tag, Auction Tags or a Guided Hunt  from anywhere.
4. You must be a registered member by the end of the competition.
5. The image can be no larger than 800 pixels on the long side.
6. We will require a short story about the hunt.
7. All entries must be submitted by approximately Feb.28,2014 at 5:00pm. We will set up a Poll and the members will select the Winner.
8. Prizes and a Trophy or Plaque will be awarded to the Winner.
Good Luck   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 12:43:10 PM by Michael »

Offline shanevg

• Booner
    • View Profile
2013 WA Spring Bear Success
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:33:04 AM »
Won't type up an entire story as the video really tells it best.  Great bear hunt with great friends, and glad it all worked out in the end!

ShaneVG's 2013 WA Spring Bear Hunt (Part 1)

Part 2:

ShaneVG's 2013 WA Spring Bear Hunt (Part 2)

Finale:

ShaneVG's 2013 WA Spring Bear Hunt Part 3)

Offline jjhunter

• Booner
  • Aim small. Miss small.
    • View Profile
The Heart Buck -

I had hunted the early archery season, early muzzy season, and general rifle season in WA, all the time, looking ahead to my late whitetail hunt.   In the early muzzy, I had passed 3 really good mule deer bucks and another super buck during the general rifle.   With limited time to hunt the late season, I was hoping that I had made the right decision.

My primary destination would be a farm that one of my best friends owned.  He was out of town for the weekend, but had left the keys to his gates and his Polaris Ranger for me to use.   I woke up early Saturday morning, hoping to swing by the shop, pick up the keys, and be set up in some beautiful whitetail country before first light.   After picking up the keys, I headed out to a few glassing areas where I had seen big bucks in the past.  With a fresh layer of snow on the ground and 100% visibility, I was excited!

The first buck that I spotted was a nice heavy 130" 5x5.  He was in full rut and things were looking good.   I continued to another vantage point and spotted a great 21-22" wide 4x4.   He looked very tall and heavy - probably a mid 140's-150" class 4.   He was also on the trail of a doe.  I continued to my last glassing point and the fog started to roll in.  As I sat in the pick-up, I looked to my left and saw two deer running right at me.  It was a doe followed by another nice 140" class 5 point.  They ran right past me at 75 or so yards.

Only an hour into the hunt and I had seen 3 nice deer!   I felt good about reaching my 150" goal on this hunt! 

I packed up and headed to a completely different area for a mid-day hunt.    As I arrived in my new area, I parked at the north end of the property.  The plan was to hunt up the north boundary across a large CRP field and into a stubble field with some really nice bowls and CRP strips.  With the wind blowing 20 mph, I thought the little stubble pockets would be the key.   I crested the first little ridge and immediately spotted something that looked out of place.  It was a GIANT buck.   A super, 160" class 5 point locked on a bedded doe.  He was only 75 yards from me, but 10 yards on the wrong side of the fence.  We locked eyes for about 10 seconds before the doe took off in the wrong direction with him in tow.   I was devastated!

I hunted the rest of he property and saw a nice 5x4, but he was a little thin-horned and broken on one side (would have been a 5x5).  I planned on heading back to the first area for an evening hunt.  My evening hunt was uneventful and I was looking forward to the morning hunt.   I was going to hunt a completely different area where a 160" class deer had been running all year.   

The morning hunt was similar to the previous day, with several nice deer being seen, but no shooter bucks.   In the afternoon, I was able to meet up with Golite and Maui4721.  We looked around my Grandparent's farm, but only saw a few does.   They were going to head back to the river the next morning and I was headed back to my buddy's farm.

My plan for the morning hunt was to hike up into the hills and get into position to intercept bucks as they left the does and headed back to the timber.   Because the bucks were in full rut and traveling long distances, I waited for good light before I started hiking.   I parked my truck and started to glass a couple of timbered, brushy eyebrows.   Glassing the first eyebrow, I spotted a long-tined buck chasing a smaller buck off a doe.  I put the spotter on him and he was definitely a good buck and warranted a closer look.  I grabbed my binoculars and rifle and snuck down into a ravine that allowed me to close the distance to 305 yards.   I laid prone and watched him for about 25 minutes.   He kept close tabs on the other buck, posturing and raking brush the entire time.   As he approached his bedded doe, I decided to let the air out of him and dropped him with a well placed Berger.

If you look at him from the top, his rack makes a perfect heart shape - hence, the Heart Buck.   We taped him at 148"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:09:01 PM by jjhunter »

Offline Maui4721

• 3 pt
    • View Profile
Wow.  You got that Euro-skull back quickly Justin.  Do you mind sharing your taxidermist contact that turns them around so quickly? 

Offline jjhunter

• Booner
  • Aim small. Miss small.
    • View Profile
Nature's Way.   Guy does amazing work.   Did my whitetail wall pedestal in 2009. 

I got my euro back in one week.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
All of the Hunting Contest's will end on February 15th (end of day) any photos MUST be post by the end of the contest or they can not be counted.

Offline Michael

• Administrator
  • Booner
    • View Profile
The Hunting Contest is Closed. Also we will be posting the 2014-2015 team hunting contest this Friday First come First serve. Limited spots!!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 07:55:12 AM by Michael »

* Site Sponsors

* Random Pics

lukehunting19

Views: 532
Posted by: the3bank
in: hunting with pops

* Donations

We are now accepting Donations for Maintenance costs through PayPal.

* Recent Topics

March P.O.M. Contest by Dennis Kirkland
[March 21, 2020, 02:59:08 PM]

Take The N.R.A. Survey!!! by Michael
[March 11, 2020, 12:39:02 PM]

February P.O.M. Winner announced!!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[March 07, 2020, 02:51:45 PM]

February P.O.M. Contest (VOTE) by Michael
[March 01, 2020, 07:16:51 AM]

February P.O.M. Contest by Dennis Kirkland
[February 25, 2020, 02:22:51 PM]

I took some Elk Drone Video by Michael
[February 19, 2020, 06:48:05 PM]

Washington: House to Vote on Magazine Ban Bill by Michael
[February 19, 2020, 07:11:56 AM]

700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record by Michael
[February 17, 2020, 08:41:11 AM]

Airbnb donating to remove 2nd Amendment Rights by Michael
[February 08, 2020, 01:47:36 PM]

Washington Bill Establishes Pilot Cougar Hunt with Dogs by Michael
[February 04, 2020, 03:11:08 PM]

New Import Export Laws go into effect!!! by Michael
[February 01, 2020, 10:56:45 AM]

Sasquatch in Washington State on Camera? by Michael
[January 24, 2020, 12:06:15 PM]

P.O.Y. Winner Announced!!! by Dennis Kirkland
[January 07, 2020, 02:05:00 PM]

Trophy Bull by TerryWSmith
[January 04, 2020, 08:39:41 AM]

Arizona authorities kill 3 mountain lions found devouring human remains by Michael
[January 02, 2020, 07:47:37 AM]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal